6.19.2014

FIAT e la Luna

Benvenuti amici!

The CC5C is, of course, a life enthusiast community. It is a community of people from the Milwaukee County and surrounding areas, the USAmerican Coast-to-Coast as well as a global society of FIAT aficionados. In fact, our very first non-local supporter/member is a kindred spirit from California. Bob Moon is a writer and a public speaker. Bob Moon is also an outspoken believer in the power of a perfectly designed Italian runabout called the FIAT 500 'Topolino' and the 1957/2007 Nuova FIAT 500.

Bob & I became pen pals as well as brothers-in-positivity when we happened upon our respective emphatic posts on a North American FIAT 500 forum. I was still coming down from my initiatial (May 2012) FIAT high and Bob found the forum not long after his August 2012 purchasing experience. We have been in phone and/or email contact ever since.



Over the past (nearly) two years, we shared our FIAT stories with one another. Those exchanges include; detailing (product) advice, our personal day-in-the-FIAT-life stories, random ramblings/thoughtful insights and... decorating this entry... drawings & photos. So, it is my pleasure to introduce you to a loyal FIAT - CC5C enthusiast and a friend...


CC5C: Hello, Bob! Thanks so much for taking part in this 'experiment' of sorts.

To date, we featured quite a few stories told by several life enthusiasts. They ranged from personal modding projects to cross-country road trips to Ghost Town hunting to off-roading in a 500T. It occurred to me we have yet to share a story, yet, about someone simply enjoying their day-to-day experience with a FIAT. I think this type of story could be very helpful to someone considering an Italian runabout, for the most practical of reasons, or a joyful reminder to those already in one.

You & I have discussed your initiation of Cinquino fandom often. Please repeat that story for our readers.

Bob Moon: I've owned many cars in my lifetime, and many of those cars were close in concept to what the 500 has perfected. The Honda Civic comes to mind, especially the 1971-1974 models. The Civic was an efficient and fun to drive town car, but it lacked any real style or passionate design. It was very much like a hammer that did it's job well but didn't inspire in any way. 

When I first saw and eventually drove a 500 I was overwhelmed by the sense of human touch that was evident in every aspect of the car. It was sensual, approachable and endearing. It wanted you to sit down, turn the key and have fun.  

The influence of Bob's Passion? We say 'Yes'

CC5C: Thanks for taking us on that first cruise with you. The Studio responsible for getting you in your Valentina recorded a clip of you talking about your experience. How was that? It seems like a truly new way to get the word out about a car. Has that ever happened with any of your past daily drivers?

Bob Moon: When the studio asked if I would participate in their video taped customer interview I was surprised and happy to do it. If I had known ahead that there was a possibility of being taped, I would have dressed differently. But, other than that, I was sure that I had something to say about the 500 that might influence or support other owners or potential owners. 

I think that the video interview, as a marketing tool, is brilliant. And no, in all the years of buying new cars, no brand or dealership had a program like this. That brings up an interesting point. In all my car buying experiences I was never so happy or excited about buying a new car. The Fiat 500 captured my imagination from the first time I saw one parked in front of my favorite Italian restaurant. The day that I test drove one would be 18 months later, and the test drive sealed the deal for me. By the time the video camera was recording I was in prime Fiat lust, and ripe for the picking. 'Two years later -- Were I videoed again my enthusiasm would be just as peaked, if not more so. 

Topo-approved Deetgen's Big Sur Inn

CC5C: I think more Studios should do that. They could extend the video sharing to include real world mpgs and 'smile per mile' experiences. C'mon, FIAT! Take us up on that offer!!

Y'know, Bob. I enjoy hearing and/or reading your FIAT life experience so much, I think we should let you take us to e-interview end with the final word. Take it away, Topobro.

Bob Moon: No one loves refined and intelligently intentional design more than I do. There are designs that seem to be rather eternal and nearly impossible to improve upon.The Samurai sword, a fine handmade watch, or the pottery designs of Edith Heath. I would add to this the Fiat 500, from it's very inception [introduced in 1936] up until today. 

During the past 100 years human beings have been far more mobile than at any other time in history and cars have been a major form of transportation (along with trains and airplanes). Not everyone can own their own airplane, but almost everyone can own a car of some sort. If I try to imagine a car that meets the needs of the majority of people, I cannot image a more fitting car than the 500. It is a car for human beings to get from here to there in style and comfort. But it has something more... something intangible. The 500 has an aura about it. Many of us who own 500s will know what I am referring to. What is that? I tend to experience it as a form of exquisite appropriateness. It is just right in a kind of Goldilocks way. Not too much of this, not too little of that. It does what we want it to do, and it makes us weirdly happy in the process. The 500 is just right, and we know it in our bones. 

Valentina + Nature = Topobro Zen

Two years later, I still get the same giddiness knowing that I am going for a drive in my beautiful Valentina Bella Luna. There is brilliance in being able to bring those qualities to anything, really, but to bring them to a car is truly remarkable. To invoke an emotional response to a machine can only come from a passionate mind.

A view to match Bob's verde chiaro Pop gem

CC5C: Indeed. Thank you so much, brother. It's been a joy to share with you and I am happy, beyond words, to impart a bit of our shared opinions and heartfelt musings with our fellow aficionados.

We plan to continue sharing modified and perfectly stock points-of-view on FIAT life. We know you have a story to share as well. Contact us on the CC5C Facebook page or register with the FiatTech forum and we will find you there. Your story is a gift waiting to be unwrapped.



Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

Ciao!

@