9.19.2013

Musica per la 'Cento

Benvenuti amici!


Music is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest inventions of humankind. Whether we "... use two sticks to make it in the nature..." or roll all the sounds we can muster into a Bittersweet Symphony, it has a way of penetrating the very fabric of our beings. 

When we are feeling 'azzurro' an upbeat tune can help us feel understood and ease the pain felt inside. When we are 'rosso' with anger an aggressive track can pop that bubble of rage and blanket us with a sense of release. When we are feeling lost & confused a simple lyric can help light and/or clarify the way. When we are in good spirits the right song can keep the party going! 


I am a serial playlister. From the heyday of vinyl 12" singles and cassette tapes, I have plotted sequences and dreamt up titles to create a musical mood. I am not sure why I do it or what motivates others to do the same, but there is a certain thrill in sharing or simply creating them for personal listening at home ~ on a walk or bus ride ~ while driving an automobile

Driving what I believe is the best 'city car' on the planet has only created [for me] more great excuses to create more playlists. I have gone so far as to create 500-themed playlists. One such playlist was taken from a 3-disc set of '50s-'60s Italian pop songs. This music represents the Dolce Vita era ~ Italian industries of music, film, fashion, motos and automobiles were firing on all cylinders. 


The music also captures a time when some of the finer things in life - like an affordable mode of personal transport - were finally within the reach of everyday people. The Nuova 500 we own is part of a revival of the time and the music of the era is perfect for a 'cento-driven cruise.

I have taken the liberty of putting together a short list of this music to share with you. I begin with what is my absolute favorite recording from the period. No matter the version, I cannot seem to get enough...


The original by Renato Carsone & Nisa


Cinematic cover by Sophia Loren & RC


Swing House hit by Yolanda Be Cool

I am not certain what the reason is, but this little ditty (and its many incarnations) makes me think of FIAT bringing the Cinquecento to North America. I guess, on some level, it must stem from the surprise I felt when visiting one particular FIAT 500 forum and reading some US owners desiring a more Americanized version of the car. Meeting safety regulations is one thing ~ creature comforts North Americans want added to the perfect economy car is quite another. I am thrilled the automaker chose to afford Roberto Giolito the freedom to define his vision without compromising said vision for foreign markets. Moving on...

Here are some more tunes from my 500 'Dolce' playlist ~ prepare to smile:

La Doce Vita - Fausto Pepetti

Zoo Be Zoo Be Zoo - Sophia Loren

Personalita - Caterina Valente

Piccola - Adriano Celentano & Anita Traversi

For me, and I think this is also true for the beautiful missus, the 2007 Cinquino retains the social importance (equally affordable & somewhat indulgent transport for people from all walks of life) as well as the stunning looks of the 1936 & *especially* 1957 FIAT 500. I suppose that is part of the reason our LFV seemingly insists I always have a bit of this music at the ready. What musical vibe do you feel on a cruise in your 'cento? Share them with us.

On the subject of sharing, Edwin & his missus (two Virginia CC5C members) were kind enough to send these quick shots of their Fičkos w/CC5C window badge displayed. I would be remiss, if I failed to mention these are two my favorite  500s. The UK EsseEsse wheels are gorgeous and their modifications thoughtful. I am humbled to have my artwork on a so many out-of-state Fititos. Thank you for supporting the act of living life with passion.




Keep those photos coming, friends. Share your FIAT related stories. I am pleased beyond words to include them here

Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

Ciao!

@