6.29.2017

Meet CC5C: Grant Stanfield

Benvenuti amici!

We're back with a new introduction to a CC5C member, Grant Stanfield. Grant is what I'd characterize as a dyed in the wool FIAT guy... and Italian car aficionado in the truest sense. This introduction will be a little different. Your introduction to this passionate CC5C fixture comes in the form of a mini-review of the Cinquecento family. But, first, a little more on the pilot of "Bambino Rosso".

You'll likely smile when first meeting Grant & his 500 Lounge. Grant is a warm and lively person and his ride reflects that aspect of his state of being. A bonnet spear, luggage rack and just the right amount of stickers & badges adorn his road buddy. It's impossible to imagine being anything but happy when in the company of the pair. You can look forward to meeting them on the road later. Let's move on to his mini-review (for now).


I had the privilege of driving two more members of "Famiglia Cinquecento" in recent weeks; the 500X and the 500L. The silver 500X Pop AWD was a rental car I drove for 10 days - from Buffalo NY, through the Berkshires, to Newport RI, Cape Cod MA and back.



'Great little SUV; 'very responsive and secure handling in any weather at all speeds. But it lacked navigation, leather and the panoramic glass roof. 'Guess I'd spec mine out as a Lounge. That stated, I really loved spending a long vacation with the 500X.

I got a red & white 500L Lounge loaner, today, while my 500C was serviced (manual clutch recall - all better!).


'Also a pleasant vehicle... very spacious and comfortable. It lacked a Sport Mode (I looked everywhere for the button) and felt gutless... even with a turbo charger. 'Still no AWD option... so, my personal choice would be for the Italian-built 500X as the practical, fun all-weather daily driver.



'No dig on the Elle for being Serbian-built, by the way. I kept saying "Kragujevac!" to myself in the 500L... all the way from Kaukauna to Green Lake and back. It certainly is an interesting and solidly-built vehicle. But I was pleased to be in actual Italian SUV, the 500X, I can't afford the Alfa Romeo Stelvio or the Maserati Levante.

My next trip, in August, is a 10-day Grand Tour through Germany, Switzerland, France and Italy. Our focus will be on good food, wine and auto museums (maybe some factory tours).

Did I mention the rental car for that trip? A new Ferrari 488 Spider!

"Bambino Ross" and I will see you at FIAT FreakOut 2017!!


Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

Ciao!

@