8.02.2015

FIATs & Fotos: Life & Lens

Benvenuti amici!

Writing this blog and maintaining the accompanying Facebook page keeps my eyes fixed on and my fingers typing into my search engine of choice, for FIAT-related images. While seeking out said images, I often come across multiple photos the trained eye recognizes as coming from the same lens. This is how I 'discovered' the featured FIATista of our new blog entry.

Luca Papaianni is a focused art talent. He shares/posts a seemingly never-ending roll of breathtaking photographs on his social media page. Many of his frames capture automobiles… in turn, many of those automobiles are FIATs (and FIAT-related marques). I began following his Facebook page, occasionally sharing some of his posted works to our club/blog page.

I'm not sure I can sufficiently describe why or how, but I can say I felt/feel an instant connection… no… kinship with Luca. Never mind the fact we're both artists choosing FIAT 500s for our daily transportation. There was something more. We each use our creative talents to communicate with world. In doing so, we blur lines and eradicate boundaries. That is pure humanity and it's something I know to be essential to the survival and continued evolution of our, for now, earthbound species.

Today, we sit down for a short introduction to the wonderful world of our esteemed FIAT life enthusiast. I'm sure this is the first of many encounters (and, we trust, interviews) to come.

CC5C: Hello, Luca. Thank you for taking time to sit with CC5C. Please introduce yourself and your connection to FIAT, for our readers.

Luca: I am Luca Papaianni, I'm from Cosenza in Calabria (Italian region) and I live in Civita, a little village in the province of Cosenza.


CC5C: I know you own a vintage FIAT 500. Can you tell us what inspired you to own such a car? In the modern world, it seems more practical to simply purchase one of the many contemporary economy cars.

Luca: I own a FIAT 500 from 1972. There are multiple things that inspired me to own it. The first one is that it belonged to my father. It was his first car... he bought it in 1982 and had it until I was the age of 15. He decided to pass it on to me when I asked him to give it to me for my birthday. He said:

"As soon as you get your drivers license it will be yours." It seems more practical to own a contemporary car but my passion for vintage cars brought me to have one and [hopefully] more in the future.


CC5C: Right. I hope to have a vintage FIAT one day. Actually, hope is not a strategy. I will own a vintage FIAT one day. Being of Spanish descent and married to someone of Balkan ancestry, I would love to own a SEAT or Zastava. But this is about your passion… not mine.





CC5C: You decided to combine your love of photography with your love for vintage cars (especially Italian cars)? That is great. Tell us how you came to that decision. Tell us about your love of art, specifically photography.

Luca: My passion for photography was born with me. Since I was little I was fascinated by looking at people... trying to steal moments. Two years ago I decided to get my first camera, a digital one of course (even though in the past I practiced with my father's zenit 12xp, now mine), stepped out of the house and started to photograph anything. But very soon I realized which were my real passions connected to this magnificent art. Because of this I [now] produce; street photography, car photography, car model photography and macro photography.

I decided to unite these two passions, because cars are art to me... so is photography. What better way to contemplate them than to mix them?


CC5C: Actually, I stumbled upon your Facebook during my daily searches for FIAT images (photographs). I was attracted to the sensibilities in your work. The passion was obvious. I think I immediately wrote about you on the CC5C Facebook page and knew I would eventually interview you for this blog.

How does it feel to know you are having a deep impact on people living on the other side of the globe?

Luca: I was happy right away! It's beautiful and gratifying to know that someone, far away from where you live & work, is passionate and interested in your work.


CC5C: Well, piquing our interest seems to have been the easy part. Some of the images you capture, as well as the techniques exploited to seize the moment, seem to require more than just a trained eye. I believe it's that trained focus that holds out attention far beyond the initial 'wow factor'. As a bit of an artist myself, I understand the work that goes into achieving what you have thus far.

What are your plans for the future… specifically, what are your plans for your wonderful photography?

Luca: I'm 20 years old. My plans, in regards to photography, are broad. I want to become a world famous street photographer! I want to photograph pilots during their races (this way I can slow down my own desires to race with them) and to bring emotions simply drawing attention to a face… a detail.


CC5C: And you will have your Cinquino with you?

Luca: My Cinquino will always be with me. I hope, with him, other models too.

CC5C: Bravo! One more question. Where can our readers find your work (online, magazines, etc.)?

Luca: For now I have active only my Facebook page: Luca Papaianni Photography, my flikr page (same), my Instagram page: Luca_Papaianni_Photography. I'm trying to create my own website and also to send my photos to various magazines.

CC5C: We will be following… and supporting those endeavors, Luca. Thank you for taking a moment from your busy schedule to participate in this interview, Luca. We look forward to seeing more of your work very soon. 

Luca: Thanks to you! Thanks a lot! Ciao!

CC5C: Life imitates art imitates life, as described by our brother-in-FIAT. I'm certain don Giacosa would be further humbled & elated to learn his simple runabout-that-could is one of the driving forces behind Luca's brilliant work. 

The greater FIAT life enthusiast world just became a little smaller. In the humble opinion of this FIATista-ABARTHista, the universe is better for it. Until we meet here next time…


Vivere.Amare.Guidare.
(English-Italian-English transcribing by Mrs. Amacento)

Ciao!