2.17.2014

Un Lavoro d'Amore: Pt Tre

Benvenuti amici!


We are back with the latest chapter in Bryan Thompson's modern 500 dream. In the two previous entries, we led with a set-up and this will be no different. From the first glimpse of this project, I felt a familiar vibe… from something I saw before… but failed to put my finger on the specific vintage work. 

I was working on one of my iPod playlists today and it finally came to me… the FIAT 500 Jolly from the legendary House of Ghia. The creations of this Italian gem were nothing short of whimsical. The design/s produced on the Cinquino platform was/were some of their most otherworldly work ever.





The house of Castagna Milano has taken a similar approach in their designs for the modern 500 platform. The Tender2 and this design, the Capri Blue, very clearly illustrate just what I am on about. The photos take it to a fagettaboutit level.




Bryan's design eye most definitely peers through the same viewfinder/s of the likes  of Ghia & Castagna. The colors and patterns of these varied works seem to come from the same kaleidoscope. In fact, Bryan's build feels much more like a Ghia work than a Giacosa. Either way… he's in very good company. 

I know what you are thinking. You wonder why you should take my word. Don't. A picture is worth a thousand words. Bryan?

This portion focuses is on detail and bringing the concept to life...

"The guys doing this build are excellent, and I'd be lying if claimed I wasn't putting their skills to the test. But the guys are up to the task -- and it will be fantastic! (Or else.) Just kidding... Sorta.


What can I say? After two decades, prepping concept and production designs for the laser-like focus of design luminaries like Tom Matano (Mazda, Miata) and Shiro Nakamura (Nissan), I can't help noticing the minutest flaw in line or paint quality. This process lets a designer's O.C.D. attention-to-detail have a field day. That is why I love what I do.

It's very exciting to see the car's personality emerge now…





The wheel mock ups show the car with and without whitewalls. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd use the Fiat OEM wheel designed for the 500L






... rather than the version intended for the 500.


The 500L version has a deeper offset and would give the car a better stance. But changing the 500's 4-bolt pattern to the 500L's 5-bolt pattern appears to be cost-prohibitive, at least for now (says Bryan with a sinister grin) A whitewall will help the circular design look larger.


The blue plaid fabric has a great presence. After seeing it on/in the car today paired with the body colored details, it brings a bolt of life to the interior and great smiles all around. You have to see it in-person to experience the guttural growl of the engine contrasted with this light-hearted color palette.


It's really something special…"

Special, indeed, Bryan. Thank you for sharing your passion with us. We look forward to the next installment. Could we finally make our way inside your baby blue build? I certainly hope so...

Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

Ciao!

@