8.17.2014

FIAT MKE 01/2011-08/2014

Benvenuti amici!

I had another theme in mind this week, but recent events led me to put that off to cover a more important pressing subject matter… the transfer of FIAT-MKE Bergstrom Automotive to FIAT-Fox Valley Bergstrom Automotive.


I began my relationship with Bergstrom FIAT of MKE on 19 May, 2012. Actually, the relationship began quite some time before my purchase. As you've, no doubt, read on this blog, there was a time of inquiry/discovery with Tony Westley. The period stretched over, maybe, a month or two. The emails were frequent and I'm sure poor Tony (owner of a rosso 500 Pop) thought I'd never be a FIAT owner. That was the first of many fond memories to come.


I purchased, not one, but two FIATs from the Bergstrom FIAT of Milwaukee location. The first was a verde chiaro Pop. You've seen photos on this very blog and our FB page. That was a major score, as there were no other verde chiaro FIATs in the city for a while. I loved it and I loved stopping in and chatting with the staff (Ryan, Tony, Leah, Jim, Mike & Kyle) every chance I could.

I work not far from the Hwy 45 & Good Hope location. So, it is likely I was in the Studio a lot more than made them comfortable. Still, I was invited to visit every time a new color, trim, model or update arrived. I'm not certain of just when, but I met Brandon and, later, Heather. I guess Heather is memorable for two reasons; her sense of style and her immediate purchase of a bianco ABARTH. How cool is that?!

Tony left. Ryan was moved to Chevy. Leah & Heather left. Jim was, eventually, moved to Chevy and Mike quickly followed. For what seemed liked ages, Kyle was the only person woking in the service department. He did it ALL. The guy is a champ… a legend... as far as I'm concerned. Luke made his way into the fold, as did Milton, Kelsey and Jeremiah. Through all those changes, in fewer than two years, my 500 Pop was well cared for and, even, modded!

I felt so good about my Milwaukee FIAT home, I began to inquire about my next purchase months before I paid off my first one. Brandon talked me through that entire process and I slid behind the wheel of a nero puro ABARTH 24 December 2013. Five months earlier, Brandon supported me in the launching of this blog and the Cream City 500 Club. Brandon, Luke and Ryan have championed the CC5C Driving Social cause from day one.


I was knocked off my feet when it was announced there would be a second Bergstrom Studio, FIAT of Fox Valley, in our state. That showroom was erected in Kaukauna, Wisconsin… effectively the Bergstrom's back yard. In hindsight, that was likely more of writing on the wall (for the coming end to their MKE Studio) than it was a play to become the premier auto group for the Italian city cars in the Badger State (especially in Cream City & the MadHouse).


Because it truly blindsided me, I was absolutely gutted when I received word of the Milwaukee transfer. For better than two years. I invested a lot of time & energy building relationships with members of the Bergstrom FIAT of MKE staff. We experienced many ups-and-downs together. I was committed to doing everything & anything I could to contribute to their success. News of the end of our relationship left me down, on an emotional level, but it's a business decision (nothing personal). So, I… we... must wipe the dust from my/our Pirellis and drive on.

Times change… people change… situations change. I am a [US Army trained] student and believer in the 'adapt & overcome' approach to life. It is also part of my leadership style. So, how will the CC5C adapt to & overcome this loss?

There are a few things every FIAT aficionado in the USA has always known:
  • With a Sea Change going on their home turf (Italy as well as the EU), FIAT USA would feel some waves from time-to-time. Our faith in the brand would need to come from the domestic auto groups carrying the torch on our turf.
  • We were taking a gamble with the purchase of our coaches. FIAT S.p.A. was absent from our market for nearly 30 years. We had little to no idea of the quality, dependability and service availability of our daily drivers.
  • The Local Studio experience is a new concept in our country. Never before was there so much emphasis on the pre & post-purchase culture (unless you were in the market for a $60k+ luxury coach). This change cannot be easy for any vendor of economy cars.
  • A strong consumer community is, to a large degree, more important to our experience than any given auto group/vendor. That is part of what makes CC5C so special. We get that and we choose to act on that knowledge by pulling together. Why shouldn't we? We do it so well.


But how will we adapt to and overcome the untimely loss of the Bergstrom FIAT of MKE team? There is no magic serum for it, folks. We will take time to mourn that loss and we will grab the reins in establishing an equally strong, if not stronger, relationships with the remaining FIAT dealers. Buon Viaggio Bergstrom & good luck in Fox Valley.

Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

Ciao!

@